PROVIDING SPECIALIST ADVICE ON VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND GIRLS POLICY AND PROGRAMMING
A research and advice service for the UK Government
The Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) Helpdesk is a research and advice service for the Department for International Development (DFID) and all other UK Government departments. The Helpdesk is run by a Social Development Direct - led consortium that includes ActionAid, International Rescue Committee (IRC), Womankind Worldwide, and the Institute of Development Studies (IDS).
The VAWG Helpdesk offers:
- VAWG Query Service - Rapid desk research, analysis and advice for DFID staff and other government departments. The Helpdesk is staffed by experienced senior researchers who provide high quality written reports on a wide range of VAWG issues to queries raised by DFID and UK Government policy advisers and programme staff.
- Short Term Country Assignments - To support DFID country offices on design, implementation, review and evaluation of VAWG programmes. We maintain a roster of senior VAWG experts - both international and national - to give ‘hands on’ advice on VAWG programming in DFID focus countries. Individual experts and teams are fielded in response to country office Terms of Reference on wide ranging VAWG topics. The Helpdesk team is experienced in supporting in-country staff and we often mobilise at short notice.
The VAWG Helpdesk produces:
- In-depth publically available Guidance Notes on best practice in VAWG programming and policy engagement. Topics to date include: Addressing VAWG through security and justice programming; Addressing VAWG in education programming; Addressing VAWG through economic development and women’s economic empowerment programmes; Addressing VAWG through health programming; and Shifting Social Norms to tackle VAWG.
- A quarterly publically available Evidence Digest on the latest evidence in the field of violence against women and girls - this invaluable resource provides DFID advisors, programme staff, and development practitioners with a manageable summary of the latest research, policy and news, and DFID programme updates on VAWG.
The Helpdesk offers expertise in core areas including:
- VAWG in conflict-affected, humanitarian and development settings
- Holistic and cross-sector approaches to VAWG – including health, education and WASH
- Access to justice and security and protection for women and girls
- Community based approaches and social norm change
- Advocacy and political mobilisation, including strengthening women’s and youth organisations
- Economic analysis and value-for-money assessments
- Situational analysis and research (quantitative and qualitative)
- Programming guidance and best practice reviews
- Monitoring and evaluation of VAWG programmes
- Training on VAWG
The Helpdesk is run by a Social Development Direct - led consortium that includes ActionAid, International Rescue Committee (IRC), Womankind Worldwide, and the Institute of Development Studies (IDS).
The VAWG Helpdesk was commissioned in 2013 and is funded by the UK Department for International Development. This webpage is fully funded by Social Development Direct.